I’m writing this at a table outside the author’s yurt in Charlotte Square Gardens. The sun is trying to break through and at the same time it’s spitting with rain. This is Edinburgh in August and the Book Festival is … Continue reading
New for 2020 – Podcasts!
From January 2020 I’m recording each post as a podcast, in addition to the written version which you can continue to read as usual. I’m also gradually adding selected posts from the archive (going back to 2009) as podcasts. Click here or on the Podcasts tab in the navigation bar.
This blog is called A Few Kind Words because the word kindness originally meant being kin, or kindred, or of the same kind. And since we are all humankind, we should remember to be kinder to one another when we communicate. The alternative is to be unkind, to use language which fails to connect or even alienates. The choice isn’t hard. (The header artwork is by wife, Sarah.)
- Delighted to be chairing @McCallSmith @edbookfest again on 17th August. Alexander McCall Smith: Human Kindness at e… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 17 hours ago
- RT @RathbonesFolio: 📌Tue 17 Aug 17:30 - 18:30 Join Edinburgh writer @McCallSmith and fellow author @JamieJauncey as they speak about simpl… 17 hours ago
- Please read this. The Clinically Extremely Vulnerable MUST be counted in. twitter.com/beccamagnus/st… 1 week ago
- RT @JNSim: Oh look my novel has its own little film @_LightProject @b3media @26characters @DarkAngelsWrite Happy to be relaunched by @Blood… 2 weeks ago
- RT @DarkAngelsWrite: Where do ideas come from? Whatever writing we are engaged on, we need the spark of an idea to get properly started.… 3 weeks ago